Sunday, February 20, 2011

Runaway Dog

To make a long story short, our dog got out of our yard a few weeks ago and "ran away".  As a result of all the snow build up this winter, there was a section in the corner or our fenced in yard that she figured out she was able to jump.  Needless to say, one of my biggest animal owner fears came true when I called her to come in and I didn't hear the jingle of her collar.  She usually takes a few minutes to come to the door, but I always hear her collar.  There were multiple sightings of her (the police told us) but no one was able to catch her.  She thought everyone was playing with her and she just kept on running. 

Good thing she is a husky, because she ended up spending the night, alone, in the elements.  We searched as much as we possible could, but had to turn in for the night.  Out early the next morning, we got the call that we had been hoping for.  Some good Samaritans spotted her and were able to catch her.  She had made it so far away from home that we weren't even looking for her in the area she was found.

We are forever thankful to these people who brought her home to us.  I know she is only a dog, but the whole thing was pretty traumatic for me.  I took it pretty hard, was pretty emotional about the whole thing and had trouble sleeping the night she was gone.  The people who found her were on their way to volunteer at the local animal shelter when they saw her and they actually foster pets.  It was truly amazing that they were where they were, when they were.  They wouldn't accept anything from us, and told us to support the animal shelter which we happily did.  So I guess this isn't really short, but here are some pictures after we were reunited.  I was taking them so that I could give pictures along with my letter of gratitude to the shelter.  We can't ever say thank you enough to the wonderful couple who found her for us.





No comments:

Post a Comment