Thursday, October 29, 2009

BMT- Bilateral myringotomy

Bilateral myringotomy with insertion of tympanostomy tubes. Fancy way of saying, we are putting tubes in your ears!

While I am glad today is over, it couldn't have gone more perfect. It is almost like Brandon knew something was going on, or that I was stressed because he was about as well behaved as you could ask for from a 9 month old.

As far as Brooke goes, she was AWESOME! Doing this for the second time a 2yrs 9months was 1000 times easier on all of us then when we did it the first time at just over 12 months. Needless to say I had been preparing myself for the worst, and I was ready for it all this morning. As suspected, when she was given the choice of who she wanted to go back with her at the beginning of the surgery she chose Daddy. I was kinda bummed about this but at the same time, I went back last time, so I was glad Eric was able to do it this time. Even though she chose him to go back at the beginning, I made it clear that I wanted to be the one who was there when she woke up. Especially after the way she came of out anesthesia last time...I would definitely need to be there.

So, Eric takes her back and joins me in the surgical waiting room. About 15 minutes later the doctor appeared....she was done...thank god. I couldn't walk fast enough to the recovery area. I just wanted to be there to hold her. As I walked in, I saw her sitting up in the adult size bed talking to the nurse as the nurse tries to make she she doesn't fall over. No screaming or crying or arching or back or anything this time. I couldn't believe it. She looked like all she had done was woken up from a nap.

I was soooo happy that she wasn't upset this time. Last time it broke my heart even though I knew there was nothing I could do about it. It is just awful seeing you baby upset. Back to the story...I was beyond thrilled that she wasn't upset AT ALL. Not even one tear! I guess daddy couldn't have gone in after all. So we sat in the rocking chair for about 15 minutes or so, just her and I rocking back and forth. Since Brandon's arrival I cherish my alone time with Brooke. Even though the circumstances weren't great, I loved sitting there with just her in my arms all snuggled up.

After that it was back up to the pediatric wing to get her to eat something, drink something and take more vitals. We had to hang out for an hour to make sure she was ok, then we were free to go. I am glad it is over, I am glad it went well and hopefully this will be the last time!

Last time we did this, I didn't bring my camera and I regretted it, so here are some pictures from this time.







And one of Brandon just because



Flowers, a bear, and "a fork" from Aunt Tracy, Uncle Bob, Aunt Manda, and Uncle Teve. She loved the bear and got really excited about the "fork" that the little card comes on!

1 comment:

  1. Awww she looks so cute in the hospital pics! Such a big girl! and LOL at her little hand reaching for the bear! SO glad it was a smooth day for all!

    ReplyDelete